Pedestrian Bridge, Montalto di Castro
Within the archaeological and environmental park of Vulci, the Fiora river marks the border between the municipalities of Canino and Montalto di Castro and constitutes an interruption of the way that from the park leads to the François grave, the name of its finder, that discovered it on July 1857. In the past, next to an islet emerging over the Fiora river, a bridge, which remains are still visible with low water, was built. That is way in this place, called “broken bridge”, they decided to built a new pedestrian bridge. The work has been designed in accordance with the definitive project, with a particular attention, where possible, to enhance the environmental integration, taking into account the specificity and quality of the context. It is an arch bridge characterized by a metal floor system, a support of the hard standing, which rests on the abutments and merges with the keystone. The bridge is 55 m long. The paved surface presents a varying width, from a minimum of 3.75 m, by the joints with the abutments, to a maximum of 4.50 m by the centre line. The structure is completely made of weathering steel, type “corten”, that do not require varnishing and only little maintenance. The same criterion has been followed for the finishes. The parapets are made of corten with basalt stone handrail. Bush hammered basalt tile flooring has been foreseen. 3 stone benches are positioned in the bridge centre line. Ground built-in lamps will provide night lighting.